Grey Lynn Farmers Market Vision
The Grey Lynn Farmers Market was created to provide the community with access to fresh, local produce in a unique, vibrant inner-city location.
These are the overriding principles that guide us. They are constantly reflected in our goals and direction as a market:
- Alternative to supermarkets: our market aims to be a viable alternative to large supermarket chains. We are supporting a local food economy: local farmers, growers, producers and small food businesses. Our market gives priority to stallholders who are selling staple food products, such as fruit, vegetables, bread, eggs, dairy food and meat.
- Closing the Gap: between producers and consumers. Our market gives shoppers the opportunity to interact with the producers of their food and build relationships with these producers.
- Community Space: Our market is more than just a shopping opportunity. We provide a community space where people can come together and get to know others in their local area. We have regular classes where people can increase skills and knowledge together. We provide a family friendly space, with regular children’s entertainment and a large playground. We encourage charities and community groups to do fundraising stalls at our market.
- Support small growers and producers: We aim to give small producers and cottage industries a chance to gain skills and experience in business.
- Prioritise ethical and local: We give priority at our market to stallholders who make an effort to use locally sourced ingredients, as well as those who use fair trade, organic and free range.
- Sustainability: We are committed as a market to being trailblazers in the area of sustainability. We have a particular interest in waste minimisation as a way of reducing our impact on the environment and are working towards becoming a zero waste market. We are also strong supporters of the Grey Lynn 2030 Waste Away Group.