The Grey Lynn Farmers Market first opened in September 2009 at the Grey Lynn Community Centre. Five years later we continue the vision and kaupapa of the original founders to provide fresh, seasonal local produce in a vibrant central location. At the birthday celebrations on 14th September it was a good opportunity to thank everyone who has supported the market over the years.
The “interim” management committee was established in 2008 following a Grey Lynn 2030 community meeting when the idea was first proposed to set up a market. Committee members included Vincent Dickie, Deon, Kiri Schumacher, Anthea Oglivie and the late Lindsay Mace (who is remembered for her great organisational skills).
A fundraising stall was held at the Grey Lynn Park Festival in 2008. Vincent as market manager worked hard signing up sponsors, confirming a venue, and recruiting stall holders. Georges Garden, Grey Lynn honey and Fresh Gardens are founding stallholders who are still at the market.
The early supporters of the market included Ripe Deli, Lynda Hallinan and Caroline Banks who gave a generous donation to get the market established.
Opening day on 9 September 2009 is remembered for the huge crowds that attended and for the excitement at the arrival of a farmers market in Grey Lynn.
The market would not have survived from the earliest days without volunteers. Our thanks to the many committee members who have given a great deal of their time. Erica Westley (Chair 2010), Paul Dalton, Clare Coulson, Anthea , Donald Streeter, Pete Russell and Tilda Bostick who followed on from the interim committee. Current committee members Susanna Stoddart, Rebekah Hay, Caroline Banks, Maggi Gresson, Javier Esgusquiza and Charlotte Gordon have been a fabulous team to work with. Donald has recently resigned after serving 4 years as Treasurer.
We’ve been fortunate to have fantastic Market managers who keep the whole operation running smoothly week to week- Vincent, Paul Dalton, Judith Whiting, Monica Stoinescu, Charlotte Gordon, Sarah James and now Louise Carr-Neill who is assisted by longer serving Callum
- Grey Lynn Community Centre team particularly caretaker Ken who is reliably there every week
- Suzanne Kendrick and her mum Joan who made the bunting for opening day and has been a huge supporter of the market as Chair of Grey Lynn 2030 (the bunting decorated the hall for the 5th birthday celebrations and has been used for many community events, weddings and parties)
- Martin Leach and the Ponsonby News team (photographer Michael McClintock’s photos taken at the market on 31 August and 14 September capture beautifully the many faces of GLFM)
- Fionna Hill unofficial guardian of the community trading table
- Bhavesh Bhuthadia helped the market establish the zero waste initiative with Charlotte
- Pania and the Ooooby team- an early sponsor and stallholder
- Grey Lynn 2030 Waste Away Team who each week volunteer to run the waste away stall promoting waste minimisation
- Lisa Cohen-Smith designer of the GLFM bag and Waste Away volunteer
- Steve from WE compost who takes away our compost for free every week
- The Friends of the Market (members of the GLFM incorporated society who subscribe each year)
- The family and partners who work behind the scene – Ben Watts, Nate, Barbara Grace, Geoff
- Market buskers including Bernie Griffen, Kirstin and Richard who played at the Birthday celebrations
- The many presenters who have shared their knowledge and skills at market workshops and classes – Carol Downer, Rob, Varsha, Laurie Dee, Fionna, Tessa
- Market kids who love the play ground, good food, and face painting
- Current sponsors Ripe and Nature Baby
- Birthday gifts from Hakanoa Ginger Beer and Lothlorian Wines
- Grey Lynn Business Association
And of course thanks to our stall holders and customers – we couldn’t have made it to our 5th birthday without you all.
Pippa Coom, Chair, Grey Lynn Farmers Market Management Committee
(apologies if I have missed anyone – please email me on email@example.com )