Summer has provided a bountiful supply of courgettes this year. They have been spied on the tables of Fresh Gardens, George’s Garden and Tikapa Moana. Try this slow baked courgette recipe courtesy of POD Gardening for a healthy delicious addition to any summer meal.
• 6 zucchini’s sliced into rounds.
• extra virgin olive oil, for pan frying.
• juice of 1 lemon.
• 2-3 large handfuls of basil leaves, roughly chopped.
1. Add enough olive oil to a medium-sized cast-iron saucepan or large heavy-based frying pan to cover the bottom of the pan. Warm the oil over medium heat.
2. Add the zucchini and stir to coat in the oil. Cover the pan, then reduce the heat to very low. Cook for 20–25 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until the zucchini softens.
3. Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice, basil and a good pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Stir until combined, then serve.